Tuesday, May 31, 2011

alexandre

I did this pastel drawing years ago of our son, Alexandre. The original work is approx. 30" x 20" and sits here in my studio, hidden among many other lost paintings.

When I saw his little face, I thought about how all I really want for him is to be happy with his life. I know that sounds so cliché, but it's the truth. When he was little, he used to tell me he was gonna be a garbage truck driver, and I would say "good for you!!" and I remember thinking "you can shovel shit if you want - as long as it's what you want to do, and you're happy doing it". :o) All I can hope for is that he listens to his own voice and doesn't allow it to be drowned out by his surroundings, including us - the parents. :o)

And on that note, here's a little tidbit I read this morning that made me smile...

Picasso was taught by his father to be an academically sound artist with all the basic understanding of colour, light, drawing, perspective, and so on. But he only became Picasso when he rebelled and turned his back on everything his father taught him.



1 comment: