Monday, October 17, 2011

the process of illustrating a children's book

Most of you already know I'm a graphic designer by profession and for the past few years, I've had the privilege of illustrating children's books. It's always so much fun for me to read through the stories & sketch my ideas as i let my imagination run wild. Well - depending on how wild the story is, of course.

I thought it may interest some of you to see the process from initial pencil sketch to final illustration (on the Mac). Most clients expect you to stick to the sketch - especially after they've approved it. :-) The first sketch here was changed after a discussion with the client about making it more fun. 

Maringo is a little mosquito & in this story, he's travelling with his parents to visit his cousin in Italy.
The book is called "Maringo chez Pépinoche".

The illustration I had proposed - travelling first class of course, in an airplane...


...and the final illustration - new & improved - by hot air balloon.
Much more fun, especially for a mosquito.


The illustration proposed when Maringo falls in a river...
and the final...


And a section in the end to help the little children learn to count. i had fun doing this one. For some reason, the client thought the teeth on the frog were scary. I thought they were hilarious, but she was afraid we may scare some children, so it was decided the frogs had to be toothless. Poor frogs... 

a little teaser in the spirt of halloween...


Someday soon, I'll be illustrating & writing my own books.
Hang on to your hats, cowboys & cowgirls. Could be a bumpy ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment