Monday, November 7, 2011

earth angel...


I want to say a few things about these "little women" paintings...

For those of you who are tired of seeing them, I understand. I realize that for some of you, i may seem stuck in this twilight zone filled with women with wings. I don't get it myself sometimes.

As mentioned in an earlier post, they are inspired by illness (cancer). My mother's diagnosis & the loss of a good friend in the last year. But i think the inspiration comes from elsewhere as well...

Those who know me well, know that i am not a religious person. When talking with a friend the other day, I mentioned that i don't really believe in angels - but that they must believe in me. :-) Strange as it may sound, a few months ago, I had a dream one night about Emily Carr. Why Emily Carr, you ask? Don't know.

In the dream, Emily was walking, high on a cliff of deep red earth... and i was walking below, near the water. We walked side by side (her above, me below) and she looked down on me reassuringly, smiling & gesturing for me to carry on, to keep moving in the same direction. When i woke the next morning, i made a mental note to stop eating popcorn so late at night - and to read up on Emily Carr. :-)
(For those who aren't familiar with Emily, she was one of Canada's great artists and lived a rather solitary life - but HER life nonetheless.)

After the dream, and subsequent dreams of my friend Liz, these little women came to life. Not quite sure what they mean, but i do know they want to be painted. So i paint. 

Without wanting to sound like those crackpots who think that "god speaks to them directly", I am simply painting what i feel inspired to paint at this time in my life. Two years down the road, i may be painting scenes from the holocaust... who knows.

But what i've discovered in the past year or so, is this: don't WAIT for the perfect circumstance, or the perfect moment to do what you love to do, or to love where you are, or who you are. Trust that you are exactly where you need to be right now, at this time in your life and try to make at least a bit of time every day to do something that fulfills you.

Do that for yourself, ok?

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE you little women series. Please keep posting.

    Life so does pass us by too quickly. Grasping at the simplest form of beauty and inspiration is necessary for ones soul to dance and sing.

    Thank you for sharing what makes you dance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post, again so inspiring, I'm so pleased you visited me so I could see your wonderful blog :)

    ReplyDelete